Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dose Fly Id - TEDxScottsdale

As a sometimes journalist, full-time writer a very amateur video creator, I don't often have trouble getting people to open up. I have a ton of practice in asking probing questions that get interview subjects to open up about topics they normally wouldn't speak about.

When the subject knows that a) anything recorded will be edited and b) I'm not in it to make them look stupid, they usually relax a bit and we have our conversation, I take my notes and then write my story.

But in this case, the interview WAS the story, as we were trying to set up as realistic a presentation as possible without making it look like Dose had people behind the camera prodding him. So, we tried to ask ONE question and let him give his presentation.

We tried that three times. It didn't work.

Then Bob had the idea just to turn on the camera, start talking as a group and slowly ease out of the frame. This worked well, and the video you see has a minimum of edits. Most of the segues were his own.

No comments: