Friday, December 12, 2008

The state of downtown Phoenix...

I understand what downtown Phoenix looks like to most people. Deserted after dark, nothing to do and only bums to hang out with.

But I get none of those people have any idea where to look, nor have they ever asked someone who lives downtown.

Funny, I live in the heart of downtown and have plenty to do every single night.

Stories like this are NOT helping. http://ping.fm/E4TBZ

From an AZ Republic writer, no less!

I especially love this quote from a COPPER SQUARE AMBASSADOR.

"Steffin Newman, a downtown ambassador employed by merchants to assist visitors, said he often sends tourists to Scottsdale and Tempe when they ask about night life. "Since I started here six months ago, it's looked like recession to me," he sighed. "It's a ghost town."

Mind you, this person's entire job is to direct people to hot spots downtown. What about Cibo? The Roosevelt? The Sheraton's new bar? Lost Leaf? Bar Smith? Sidebar? Hob Nobs? Conspire?

There's plenty to do here, so why don't those that are hired to promote us know about it?

UPDATE: I emailed David Roderique, CEO of the partnership, and he responded in less than 25 minutes to both agree with me AND to tell me that the ambassador has been suspended. He pledged to better inform all ambassadors or what there is to do downtown.

This is great...but what were they telling them before?

8 comments:

Jacqui said...

Aren't the downtown "ambassadors" paid BY the downtown businesses? I'm guessing these business owners don't have a lot to spare right now, and if this is what they're getting for their money, they should be pretty pissed right about now.

Clintus McGintus said...

I don't know about anything downtown but really want to. Fill me in bro!

Samuel Isaac Richard said...

This is so sad. Actually, it's infuriating. This city has so much to do, just ask any Copper Square Ambassador. Oh, wait...

I'm glad to hear that "Ambassador" is suspended, and hope that he is reminded that the definition of his position is to be the, "official messenger and representative" of Downtown Phoenix.

Jacqui - I'm not completely sure, but almost certain that the Ambassadors are a subdivision of the Downtown Phoenix Partnership, which merchants pay membership fees to. So it's not a direct paycheck, but close enough that local business owners should be pretty disappointed.

Thanks for finding this, Tyler. The first step to combating the stereotype is identifying who the sources are...

Unknown said...

I'm hopeful that light rail will help get people downtown. I myself am looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great way to showcase downtown Phoenix and all of it's great hot spots. Two thumbs waaay down... They should consider better training for their Ambassadors.

zyphlar said...

Ugh, don't even mention Hob Nob. Disgusting pitiful imitation of our beloved Willow House. That place is dead to me.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear of the suspension. Now, how about some media training for all the ambassadors that remain? I interacted with some of them Saturday night at the tree lighting / light rail preview ride, and they were knowledgeable and helpful, but there have to be some procedures to prevent a rogue ambassador from doing this again.

Dfactor said...

Since I've moved here, I've spoken only all good stuff about this new city I live in. Leave the naysaying to the naysayers - let's build this place our way.