Saturday, November 1, 2008

Chase bank sucks

There's not much worse than finding out you have no money. Bills to pay, gas to buy, food to purchase and...nothing. This happened to me.

I'm not a rich man. I live mostly paycheck to paycheck, pay my bills on time and don't have credit cards. I do invest in a 401k, but besides that, have no savings. I am the very definition of living within my means.

So when, after trying to pull $60 for a night of drinking, I discovered that I was overdrawn, I was confused. Not angry, not yet.

I called my bank immediately. They informed me of a $1300 charge in Alabama (yes, I live in Arizona) that had posted at 1:45 p.m. on Halloween. I'm fucking irate. IRATE. That charge, coupled with gas, food and some other minor expenses, wiped out my account.

When I was with Bank of America, my card was always shut off after a charge that doubled or tripled my usual charge average. So what did Chase do when a charge appeared on my card that quadrupled my highest transaction to date?

Not a goddamn thing. Nothing whatsoever.

Sure, if I had had fraud protection they would have warned me of this. I thought I signed up for it when I opened an account, but if I didn't, why the hell would they have not included it? I have to ask for my bank to protect me from fraudulent charges? In a time when computers can do nearly anything, this isn't automatic?

Chase sucks. Anyone know a better bank?

4 comments:

Arizona Newspapers Association said...

I've had good luck with Desert Schools.

Unknown said...

Bank of America is all OVER the metro Phx region. They're pretty great. Super online bill paying abilities. C'mon back!

Joshua Crigger said...

I would say screw the banks. Go with a credit union. They are non-profit so their rates are lower, most Credit Unions are networked with cu service center, so that you can go to any credit union with that symbol and use it like it was your own branch. You can make deposits, withdraws all that from another bank w/o charges.


I am not sure what is in your area but you should be able to find something.

Check it out. If/when you want to buy a house or a car they give really good rates on loans as well.

K-Motivate said...

I'm so glad I saw this blog because I want to go on a rampage about Chase bank, too. They're absolute assholes. Seriously. I've had my card for almost a year. My balance reached almost my max $3,000. Then they tacked on interest, which made me go OVER my limit. So, without any kind of notification, they upped my interest rate to 28%. I have been paying $64 for every $100 I put onto this card. I hate hate HATE them!! So I called today and asked if my interest rate could be lowered. They beat around the bush and never gave me a straight answer as to why they can't lower it. They kept saying "your account is not eligible." Me- "Why". "I don't know. Some accounts are and some accounts aren't". Are you kidding me?! Why does Chase and their dumbass employees exist if they can't answer questions with ANSWERS.