Sunday, November 30, 2008

What would you give up?

I'm training for my very first half marathon (PF Chang's) here in Phoenix in mid January. Now that I'm up to 4.5 miles at 9:15 per, I figured it was time to do a little more than just lift and run.

It's time to adjust my diet. This means getting rid of what's bad for me. Seeing as how I don't eat much fast food (nearly gave it up over a year ago and lost 40 lbs in the process) nor do I eat many high fat foods, something else needed to go.

I eat pretzels and drink Diet Coke like my life depends on it. I have no idea why, they are to me what chocolate and other sweets are to most people. I've been known to polish off a bag of pretzels on a Saturday, and multiple two liters over a weekend.

Sad, yes, and that salt intake, combined with the diuretic properties of soda, account for why I have to drink over a gallon of water a day just to quench my thirst.

So I'm giving them up. Today is my last day. I'll be replacing my snack needs with apples, cranberries and the occasional trail mix with, of course, good ol' fashioned water.

What have YOU given up in order to get healthier? Anything?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your enthusiasm, but I don't think there is any way you can give up pretzels AND diet coke. NO WAY. Its like me not ever drinking beer again-it just ain't gonna happen.

Taylor Graves Monaco said...

That's brave good luck!!!