Thursday, August 21, 2008

Who do you work for?

I can't return to work without a doctor's note. I can't work from home without a doctor's note. My doctor's note said I was to continue working from home until he had cleared me.

You'd think that would be simple to understand, but you're wrong. My supervisor needs to see a copy of said note, because HR and UNUM (the short-term disability claims company) won't share this note with her, nor will she take my word on what it says.

I had surgery just over three weeks ago. I applied for short term disability, as I was most likely going to be out for six weeks to a month. My claim was accepted, but I wanted to start working from home as soon as I could, as I knew that having nothing to do and not being able to leave my house would drive me insane.

It nearly did.

My bosses and I, along with my doctor, agree that after my initial week-long recovery, I would be okay to from home part time. This worked for all of us, until this week.

Now, the note from the first paragraph says "continue to work from home" which I interpreted as "keep doing exactly what you're doing". UNUM and HR apparently do not, nor does my supervisor, even though I have tried to explain this to them.

My job HATES when people work from home. They are a controlling, jealous bunch who don't understand modern technology. Anyway, now I feel like I'm in trouble for WANTING to work.

Anyone ever dealt with this shit?

No comments: