Monday, January 24, 2011

Body Fat Reduction Challenge

I have far more fat on me than I'd like. While I can still run pretty far and I mostly fit into to my 36" waist pants but sometimes not large shirt, I miss the feeling being light on my feet. I've had little success losing weight for almost two years now, so when Vin Vallejo of Pro Fitness offered me the chance to participate if I'd share my experience, I couldn't say yes fast enough.

Vallejo took down my body measurements, recorded my height and weight, and then took a picture straight on and another profile. He also gave me a handheld body fat test, which showed as a little over 25%, which I think is the proper percentage for a pregnant or nursing woman. That's a lot. Vallejo said his goal for me was to get down to 17%, which would mean I'd lose nearly 30 lbs of fat and gain 6-7 lbs of muscle.

I think that would look pretty good on my 5'11" frame, and would help me prepare for my long-term goal, the 2012 Ironman here in Tempe.

Today was my first day. My half marathon last weekend did nothing to prepare me for this. Three and a half workout sets later, I dry heaved in the rest room for nearly seven minutes. I bet that didn't happen during YOUR Monday morning.

Finish the sets I did, and Vallejo said his goodbye and promised to send a meal plan.

I received it a few hours later and by now rigor mortis (don't fight it) is kicking in. My back is tight, the hamstrings we focused on today are stiff and I really want to take a nap.

I'll be posting about work outs ever day for the next two months. Yes, I'm doing them in Vibrams.

Until next time, Pro Fitness.

No comments: