Thursday, January 13, 2011

Perhaps my best @meyouhealth challenge EVER

Play mini-basketball with a wadded-up piece of paper.

I was born for this challenge.

This morning, as I walked into Starbucks I notice a crumbled napkin on the floor. I glanced around, looking for the garbage can, but the line must have blocked it. Frantic to both get this likely contaminated piece of paper out of my hand and complete the challenge, I shifted into a three-point stance and pump faked.

No one moved. Crap. That usually works. I then swung the hanging strap of my laptop bag over my left shoulder and buckled the top. Confident it was secure, I threw a cursory glance behind me and noticed a lady opening the door behind me. No way in hell was I going to let her catch me on a breakaway!

I fake dribbled, took two large steps (maybe three, but I didn't hear a whistle) and reached over the counter just left of the espresso machine. The barista looked up and our eyes locked. Hers were a mixture of annoyance and fear, my eyes burned with a desire I've only felt on a eight-foot hoop while playing with a women's basketball.

Still leaning, I switched hands Jordan-style and lofted the wad, left-handed, with a little scoop shot. It hit the back of the can and bounced in. BOOYAH.

I lurched back, bumping into a customer in line on his phone and quickly apologized.

I left without ordering coffee and probably won't go there again.

But damn...what a rush.

No comments: